1. The name of the network is the Network of European Museum Organisations (NEMO).
2. Members of NEMO are national museums organisations. NEMO accepts as members bodies being responsible for museums according to the following hierarchy:
I. National Museums Associations
II. other NGO's working for museums on a national scale
III. National governmental bodies being responsible for museums
Prerequisite for all organisations to become a member is their national museum coverage.
Members can only come from Member States of the Council of Europe. Only one organisation per country can be a member. NEMO members can only be representatives of organisations, the network does not accept individual members.
3. To become a NEMO member the Executive needs to approve their membership and the required membership/conference fee needs to be paid in due time.
4. Associated members can be any organisation concerned with or representing museums.
Associated members do not have a vote.
5. Entry into associated membership will be approved by the Executive subject to payment of the required membership/conference fee. This entitles the organisation to attend all NEMO conferences and receive other services and communications offered to members.
6. Each member and associated member nominates one individual as their contact through which NEMO communicates to the organisation. The name of the contact will be confirmed annually.
7. Each member must appoint one representative who is eligible to vote at the Annual Meeting. Only those representatives attending the meeting are eligible to vote.
8. The contacts must inform the NEMO Chairman of the name of their representative in advance of each the Annual Meeting.
9. The Annual Meeting will elect the Executive, which consists of the Chair and up to 6 members. The period of membership of the executive is three years. Members of the Executive can be re-elected. Associated members are allowed to be member of the executive. Only a member can be the Chair.
10. Only those currently members of the Executive are eligible to stand for election as Chairman. Re-election of the Chair is only allowed once.
11. The network should meet at least once a year.
12. The Chair summons the meetings and prepares the agenda on behalf of the Executive.
13. If 1/3 of the members ask for a extraordinary meeting to be held, it must be summoned.
14. The Annual Meeting makes decisions by simple majority. In the event of an equal division of votes the vote of the Chairman has a casting vote.
15. The Executive convenes the Annual Meeting by means of a written notification to the members and associate members in due time. Members can propose topics for the agenda one month in advance of the meeting. The items to be considered at the annual meeting will, inter alia, include:
a. election of Executive members (if applicable);
b. annual report of the Executive including financial affairs;
c. decision about annual membership/conference fees and priorities of the network
16. The Executive's role and function is
- set and monitor budgets and funding applications
- appoint and oversee whatever secretarial support it considers necessary
- prepare the agenda and arrangements for the Annual Meeting
- meet with relevant organisations and individuals who NEMO wishes to influence and work with
- make decisions that need to be made between Annual Meetings
The members give their mandate to the Executive to speak on their behalf as well as on the behalf of the museums of their country.
17. NEMO may dissolve itself, if two thirds of the Members agree.
The statutes were approved by the NEMO meeting in Italy 1993 and revised in Dublin 1995, in Amsterdam 2004 and in Copenhagen 2010 and came into effect on the Annual Conference in Athens in November 2011.