European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018
With the European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018 the European Union will celebrate the diversity and richness of our European heritage.
Aims and Objectives of the European Year of Cultural Heritage
The 2018 European Year of Cultural Heritage (EYCH 2018) aims to raise awareness of European history and values and to strengthen a sense of European identity. It encourages more people to discover and explore the opportunities of Europe's rich and diverse cultural heritage. At the same time, it draws attention to the challenges cultural heritage faces, such as the impact of the digital shift, environmental and physical pressure on heritage sites, and the illicit trafficking of cultural objects.
The main objectives of this European Year are:
- to promote cultural diversity, intercultural dialogue and social cohesion;
- to highlight the economic contribution of cultural heritage to the cultural and creative sectors, including small and medium-sized enterprises, and to local and regional development
- to emphasise the role of cultural heritage in European cultural diplomacy
- to underline the importance of safeguarding our common cultural heritage
Implementation of the European Year of Cultural Heritage
The European Year will have a dedicated financial envelope of 8 million Euro, which is partially financed through the Creative Europe Programme. As other European Years, EYCH 2018 will be implemented through initiatives and events at European, national, regional and local levels.
At European level, implementation of the Year will be a joint effort of the European Commission, the European Parliament, the Council and also the Committee of the Regions and the European Economic and Social Committee.
At country level, the Year is being organised by national coordinators, designated by each EU Member State.
NEMO and the EYCH 2018
NEMO will be actively involved in the European Year and develop different activities and formats together with its members. NEMO is looking forward to support national museum organisations, museums and stakeholders in Europe during the year by providing opportunities for collaboration, exchange, networking and information.
If you have questions regarding the European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018, don't hesitate to get in touch with NEMO at email@example.com!
Initiatives during the EYCH 2018
Various European Initiatives evolving around the European Year of Cultural Heritage have started. The European Commission divides them among four areas: engagement, sustainability, protection and innovation.
- Shared heritage: cultural heritage belongs to us all
- Heritage at school: children discovering Europe's most precious treasures and traditions
- Youth for heritage: young people bringing new life to heritage
- Heritage in transition: re-imagining industrial, religious, military sites and landscapes
- Tourism and heritage: responsible and sustainable tourism around cultural heritage
- Cherishing heritage: developing quality standards for interventions on cultural heritage
- Heritage at risk: fighting against illicit trade in cultural goods and managing risks for cultural heritage
- Heritage-related skills: better education and training for traditional and new professions
- All for heritage: fostering social innovation and people's and communities participation
- Science for heritage: research, innovation, science and technology for the benefit of heritage
Calendar of Events
|11-12 December 2018||Closing Ceremony by the Austrian Presidency in Vienna, Austria|
|18-19 October 2018||Congress on Cultural Heritage in Vienna, Austria|
|September 2018||Last Meeting of Stakeholder's Committee for EYCH2018|
|Aug-Sep 2018||European Heritage Days|
|20-24 June 2018||European Summit of Cultural Heritage / EU Prize for Cultural Heritage / Europa Nostra Awards Ceremony / 5th Meeting of Stakeholder's Committee for EYCH2018 in Berlin, Germany|
|April 2018||European Heritage Label Ceremony 2018 in Brussels, Belgium|
|End of March 2018||Bulgarian Presidency conference on Cultural Heritage in Bulgaria|
|20 March 2018||Joint RTD - EAC high level Conference on European Research for Cultural Heritage in Brussels, Belgium|
|January/February 2018||4th Meeting of Stakeholder's Committee for EYCH2018 in Brussels, Belgium|
|20 & 27 January 2018||Opening Ceremony of European Capital of Culture (ECoC) Valletta and Leeuwarden 2018|
|4-5 January 2018||College meeting and Launch of the Year by the Bulgarian Presidency in Sofia, Bulgaria|
|7-8 December 2017||Official launch of the European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018 at the European Culture Forum in Milan, Italy|
|5 December 2017||3rd Meeting of Stakeholder's Committee for EYCH2018 in Milan, Italy|
|22 November 2017||Deadline for submissions to Creative Europe Call for European cooperation projects related to EYCH2018|
|19 October 2017||2nd Meeting with National Committees for European Heritage Days in Strasbourg, France|
|7 September 2017||2nd Meeting of Stakeholder's Committee for EYCH2018 in Brussels, Belgium|
|27 June 2017||1st Meeting with National Committees for European Heritage Days to shape synergies for EYCH 2018 in Brussels, Belgium|
|11 May 2017||Decision on EYCH 2018 adopted by the Council of the European Union|
|28 April 2017||Stakeholder Meeting Voices of Culture and Heritage|
1st Meeting of Stakeholder's Committee for EYCH 2018. NEMO is part of the committee.
|27 April 2017||Meeting of European Heritage Alliance 3.3|
NEMO participated in the meeting and discussions concerning the EYCH 2018
|27 April 2017||Adoption of EYCH 2018 by European Parliament|
|30 August 2016||Proposal by the European Commission for a European Year of Cultural Heritage in 2018|
Brief overview of the aim, objective and implementation of the EYCH 2018
List of Appointed National Coordinators for EYCH 2018
The national coordinators are the national contact points for questions concerning initiatives, support and activities during the EYCH 2018 in the respective countries.
Sharing Heritage - Website of the EYCH 2018 related activities in Germany
EU Funding opportunities for EYCH 2018
These are funding opportunities by the European Union from different EU funding programmes