Total number of museums: approximately 502
Art and Design: 55
Natural History/Science: 98
Professionally run museums: 326
Voluntarily run museums: approximately 700
- 50% state/municipal funded
- 10% membership fees/subscriptions
- 40 % other
- Invite politician to the museum week.
- several statements about the state budget, real estate issues, state museum policy, state funding system, copy right law and personal data act.
The Union of Academic Museum Employees in Finland
The National Board of Antiquities
There is a national legislation on museums in Finland.
The types of ownership/patronage (public, federal, state, private) of museums in Finland can be seen below.
- Cities/municipalities: 53%
- Foundations/associations: 39%
- State: 6%
- Others (companies, churches): 2%
- There is no public loan policy
- No state indemnity scheme exists
- An insurance policy is in place
Last updated in August 2018.