NEMO liaises with the European institutions to advocate on behalf of the museum sector. We liaise with the European Commission, the European Parliament, the European Council, representatives of countries holding the EU presidency, as well as other stakeholder in the European culture sector.
With our members and allies, NEMO maintains a constant dialogue with relevant stakeholders about questions that are relevant to the museums in Europe. Through this dialogue, we believe we can:
- influence policies and developments
- voice the museum sector’s needs and framework conditions within policy making
- advocate on behalf of the museums’ values, work and potential.
The core mission of NEMO’s advocacy work is to strengthen the role of museums in the following areas: collection, education, social and economic issues. We believe that the themes of digitalisation and professionalisation of the sector are imperative to help maximise the full potential of Europe’s museums. With this in mind:
- We advocate for the manifold values of collections and provide a platform for museums to exchange best practice.
- We highlight the social value and support the potential of museums for society by promoting their contribution to different agendas.
- We support the recognition of museums as rich learning environments and places of public engagement and provide a platform for the exchange of best practice.
- We want to ensure that museums are recognised and supported as key assets for urban and regional development, for a flourishing tourism industry and as drivers for the economy and the creative industries.
- We advocate for museums and heritage to become an integral part of the Digital Agenda of the EU.
- We advocate for support through targeted capacity-building programmes for museum professionals.