The new initiative Green Assist will provide access to Advisory Services that enable beneficiaries to prepare green/greener investment projects. Usage is free of charge and the service delivers tailor-made advice specific to each…
NEMO encourages and supports museums to do their part and actively contribute to a more sustainable future. We advocate for stakeholders to fully recognise the potential of museums as allies in the sustainable transition.
Results from a Eurobarometer published on 20 July 2023, shows that a huge majority of European citizens (93%) believe that climate change is a serious problem facing the world.
The UK Museums Association has published a toolkit to help museums ensure that their collections are well managed, sustainable,…
NEMO wants to make sure that museums are recognised and supported by EU policy makers for the work they do to contribute to a sustainable future by:
- Advocating for the instrumental role of museums in providing opportunities for decent work, poverty reduction, social resilience, gender equality and other aspects relevant to the SDGs.
- Illustrating how museums and creative industries contribute to the realisation of development targets by providing solutions in urban and rural, European national and local contexts.
- Providing information about the different approaches that museums in Europe and around the world are taking to contribute to the Green Deal and help make the world more sustainable in the future.
- Encouraging co-operation between museums and other players to form strong alliances reaching out to global citizens at every level.
- NEMO is an active member of Museums for Future and the Climate Heritage Network, an ambassador of the European Climate Pact, and works with a variety of organisations dedicated to climate action and sustainability to help bring the sector together, to align views and actions, and to support museums with a strong voice in their sustainable transition.
Based on answers to a survey NEMO ran from April to June 2022, the report reflects the status quo of European museums in the climate crisis. It includes key recommendations that will help tap into the full potential of museums as contributors and allies in the sustainable transition of Europe. The report is accompanied with a handy 2-pager that highlights the 7 recommendations.
NEMO is monitoring the situation for museums in the current energy crisis. In addition to an interactive map, NEMO has published a statement calling on policy makers to support museums to investments in infrastructure so that buildings can be maintained in a more energy-efficient, ecological and sustainable manner.
- Strengthening cultural heritage resilience for climate change - Where the European Green Deal meets cultural heritage by the EU Open Method of Coordination (OMC) group of Member States’ experts on ‘Strengthening cultural heritage resilience for climate change’
- Copernicus, European Union's Earth Observation Programme
- Culture and Creativity is the European Commissions’ page gathering all aspects concerning culture and sustainability, including the Council Work Plan for Culture 2019-2022.
- A European Green Deal that will transform the EU into a modern, resource-efficient and competitive economy.
- European Commission actions and policies with regard to the SDG’s
- Strategic Agenda of the EU 2019-2024, including the priority to build a climate-neutral, green, fair and social Europe, including the priority to build a climate-neutral, green, fair and social Europe
- Resources collection: MFF Resource Libray, hosted by Museums For Future
- Resources collection: Climate resources bank, compiled by the UK Museums Association
- Mobilising Museums for Climate Action, a extensive Tool Kit developed by the Museums for Climate Action project and Curating Tomorrow
- Museums and Disaster Risk Reduction, by Curating Tomorrow
- Action for Climate Empowerment - A guide for galleries, libraries, archives and museums, by Curating Tomorrow
- Ki Books to implement sustainable changes now, by Ki Culture
- Discover museum projects in Latvia within each of the Sustainable Development Goals (in Latvian)
- Culture in the sustainable development goals: A guide for local action, by United Cities and Local Governments
- Guide: How can museums support the Sustainable Development Goals? by Curating Tomorrow
- UN Live Museum