The report, published by the NEMO Working Group LEM - The Learning Museum, showcases 15 projects from 12 European countries that were developed for remote museum audiences from early 2020 to 2022. It highlights various formats of digital engagement and offers insights and recommendations from museum professionals as well as tech experts. Professionals looking for new ideas and formats for meaningful digital engagement with virtual visitors and reaching new audiences may turn to this report for inspiration.
The report investigates digital learning in a broad sense and does not solely focus on formal educational projects, or on digital initiatives that are being developed from the beginning with the goal of delivering learning outcomes (formal and non-formal learning), but also projects where learning might take place unintentionally. The report covers the following themes:
- Educational opportunities associated with the digitisation of museum collections and archives, as well as open access to museum data.
- Creative interactions with digitised collection, such as citizen co-curation.
- Social media and the expansion of museums into virtual environments and Extended Reality.
- Digital communication and chatbots.
- Digital games and playful learning.
- Sustainable practices to profit from digital innovations.
Join a webinar to learn more
In a webinar on 27 April from 14:00-15:00 CEST, experts will discuss the report and exchange on museums, Extended Reality, the Metaverse and AI Chatbots. The main author Kristina Barekyan has invited three of the experts interviewed for the NEMO report to discuss the opportunities and challenges of working on the cutting edge of technology, digital cultural heritage and museum education.
NEMO Working Groups
NEMO’s working groups offer NEMO members a European perspective on topics that are important to the museum sector. The working groups provide a place to get connected, learn and share experiences through organised study visits and events. They also produce studies, reports and recommendations.
Learn more about NEMO's four active working groups:
- Advocacy and Public Affairs
- Digital Transformation
- The Learning Museum (LEM)
- Sustainability and Climate Action