The Voices of Culture Structured Dialogue gathered experts on the topic of understanding digital audiences, with a special focus on performing arts and cultural heritage. NEMO made sure to voice issues and needs that are of importance for museums and museum organisations.
The results of the Brainstorming Meeting will feed into a Dialogue Meeting with the European Commission on 8 March 2022. An additional target output is the development of guidelines for collecting and managing data on existing and new digital audiences. These guidelines would serve as a source of inspiration for cultural organisations and help them adapt to the ever-changing digital environment.
Main discussion points at the brainstorm session involved:
- COVID-19 recovery and impact on cultural consumption by digital means
- EU’s role in supporting the development of digital audiences
- Aspects of data collection and management regarding 1) rebuilding existing audiences via digital means, and 2) reaching new digital audiences, with a focus on digitally deprived people
Voices of Culture is a platform for dialogue between the cultural sectors and the European Commission. The topic of digital audiences was set considering the new challenges that the cultural and creative sectors (CCS) are facing in developing digital audiences. It is more complex than just increasing the number of online attendees and therefore the process needs to be accompanied by a long-term meaningful digital strategy, supported by clearly defined objectives, audience data, and performance indicators.
- Learn more about the Voices of Culture discussion (RE)-ENGAGING DIGITAL AUDIENCES IN THE CULTURAL SECTORS - IMPROVING AUDIENCE DATA.
- For a more detailed overview of the topic, have a look at a framework paper by the topic expert Anne-Sophie Radermecker.