This group explores topics relating to the fields of museum education, audience development, intercultural dialogue and lifelong learning. We organise exchanges and learning through regular study visits to different museums, as well as producing studies and reports.
- We encourage and publish researches on topics of interest of our members.
- We arrange study visits to learn about museum and heritage education practices in different European countries.
- We organize meetings and special programmes with guest speakers during NEMO’s annual conference.
Organsing two webinars to look further into the topics brought up in the report "Emotions and Learning in Museums".
The Working Group is exploring new research topics
The working group members are invited to an exclusive webinar to look further into the topics brought up in the report Emotions and Learning in Museums.
- Teaching for Empathy in Museums
- 25 May 2021 at 16:00 CEST
- Facilitated by Karleen Gardner, Director of Learning Innovation & Director, Center for Empathy and the Visual Arts, Minneapolis Institute of Art (Mia), USA
How might art play a role in helping people understand each other in our increasingly connected, yet disconnected world? The Minneapolis Institute of Art is experimenting with and researching how object-based, dialogical teaching strategies can be catalysts for fostering attitudes and capacities that are crucial for today's world. Using artworks from the museum’s global collections and pairing these with specific teaching frameworks and thinking routines, this talk will explore how engagement with art can nurture new ways of thinking and being, including: increased self-awareness about identity and culture, respect for differences, the value of multiple perspectives, and empathy.
- 10 March 2021
- Patricia Barciela, Domus (Museos Científicos Coruñeses)
- Held exclusively for the members of LEM
Margherita Sani, Project Manager at the Istituto Beni Culturali, leads this working group. If you would like to join, please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that NEMO Working Groups are open to NEMO members only.