Within the framework of Germany's presidency of the Council of the European Union, NEMO and the German Museums Association are co-organised the online conference Museums and Social Responsibility - Values revisited from 17-18 September 2020.
The conference took place online from 17-18 September 2020 and focused on what social responsibility means for museums. Through their daily work, museums make a significant contribution to social responsibility by dealing with questions that are connected to social cohesion, social inclusion and social diversity. Recordings from the conference will be published on NEMO's YouTube channel in the coming week.
The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) defines social responsibility according to seven core subjects; organizational governance, labour practices, the environment, fair operating practices, consumer issues, community involvement and development. The latter two can also be recognised as cornerstones of museums' everyday activities and actions. Therefore, we have decided to focus on the core subjects community involvement and development to discuss what social responsibility means for museums. Short lectures, panel discussions and workshops will be dedicated to the following topics:
- Community involvement
- Education and culture
- Employment creation and skills development
- Technology development and access issues
- Wealth and income creation issues
- Social investment
- Health Issues
The conference is the first of three and all are organised by museum organisations located in the countries holding the presidency of the Council of the European Union. All three conference will focus on different aspects of social responsibility.
- Museums and Social Responsibility - Values revisited: Digital Conference in Germany (online), 17-18 September 2020
- Museums and Social Responsibility - Participation, Networking and Partnerships in Lisbon, Portugal, April 2021 (TBD)
- Museum and Social Responsibility – what comes next? in Maribor Slovenia, 23-24 September 2021 (TBC)