The Association of Danish Museums recently announced an initiative running from 2022 to 2025 that will help Danish museums in their transition towards greener operations. With 5.8 million Danish Krone (780 000 euro), funded by the...
In September 2015, the United Nations adopted 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) with the aim of ending poverty, protecting the planet and ensuring prosperity for all by 2030. The European Union published its Green Deal in 2019 to outline the EU's plan to reach 0% carbon emission and be the first climate-neutral continent until 2050. NEMO is encouraging and helping museums do their part in the green transition and a sustainable future.
NEMO wants to make sure that museums are recognised and supported by EU policy makers for the work they do to contribute to a sustainable future by:
- Advocating for the instrumental role of museums in providing opportunities for decent work, poverty reduction, social resilience, gender equality and other aspects relevant to the SDGs.
- Illustrating how museums and creative industries contribute to the realisation of development targets by providing solutions in urban and rural, European national and local contexts.
- Providing information about the different approaches that museums in Europe and around the world are taking to contribute to the Green Deal and help make the world more sustainable in the future.
- Encouraging co-operation between museums and other players to form strong alliances reaching out to global citizens at every level.
- NEMO is an active contributor to Museums for Future, a member of the Climate Heritage Network, an ambassador to the European Climate Pact, and works with a variety of organisations dedicated to climate action and sustainability.
On Earth Day 2022, NEMO launched a survey to evaluate the status quo of European museums’ journey towards sustainability in a time of climate emergency. The answers will feed into recommendations for policy makers and help steer the sector towards a sustainable future. The survey closed on 22 June and right now the responses are being analysed to be published in a report in autumn 2022.
Together with 70 other arts, culture and heritage organisations, the Climate Heritage Network works with the aim of showcasing the important role that arts, culture and heritage can play in achieving the ambitions of the Paris Agreement.
NEMO is conducting a research on museums and climate change with the aim of creating recommendations for policy makers and help steer the sector towards a green and sustainable future. Every answer to the survey, which opened on...
On Earth Day 22 April 2022, the Network of European Museum Organisations (NEMO) is launching a survey to evaluate the status quo of European museums’ transition and journey towards sustainability in a time of climate emergency....
NEMO liaises with European policy makers and EU Institutions in all areas relevant to museums. We produce recommendations and co-operate with partners in the European cultural field to make our demands heard. We also help our members to build successful advocacy campaigns and support museums to make an impact on various sectors.
- Culture and Creativity is the European Commissions’ page gathering all aspects concerning culture and sustainability, including the Council Work Plan for Culture 2019-2022.
- A European Green Deal that will transform the EU into a modern, resource-efficient and competitive economy.
- European Commission actions and policies with regard to the SDG’s
- Strategic Agenda of the EU 2019-2024, including the priority to build a climate-neutral, green, fair and social Europe, including the priority to build a climate-neutral, green, fair and social Europe
- Ideas into action, a extensive Tool Kit developed by the Museums for Climate Action project and Curating Tomorrow
- Action for Climate Empowerment - A guide for galleries, libraries, archives and museums, by Curating Tomorrow
- Ki Books to implement sustainable changes now, by Ki Culture
- Discover museum projects in Latvia within each of the Sustainable Development Goals (in Latvian)
- Culture in the sustainable development goals: A guide for local action, by United Cities and Local Governments
- Guide: How can museums support the Sustainable Development Goals? by Curating Tomorrow
- UN Live Museum